Thursday, February 28, 2008
My Car Is Sucking Me Dry !
So last May I traded in my old car for a, somewhat-but not really, newer car. I did this because I'd had my other car for 6 years & I just knew that it was going to start breaking down all the time - even though it yet hadn't. Well, about one month after buying my next car - before the insurance company inspected my vehicle to approve the comprehensive - I got into an accident. It cost me about $1800 to fix the damage - ouch. I have finally built up my savings cushion again - and guess what....my car has a sixth sense. Tuesday night I was driving when suddenly my car started to slow down, the steering wheel tightened up & the brake light came on. I was able to safely pull over before it outright died on me. I said a prayer & fortunately it started up & I was able to drive home. I took it into the mechanic yesterday & they told me the problem was my fuel pump. The car actually died while they were testing it - so I consider it a blessing that I took it in when I did. Well, that cost me only $515. But the story doesn't end. Apparently the timing belt has never been changed - it was supposed to have been changed 12,000 miles ago. Apparently I've been driving around on "borrowed time". I guess I really should have done more research into this car before buying it - so it's my own fault I suppose for having assumed the previous owner actually would have changed the timing belt. So that's been estimated to replace for about $765. I know I need to do that soon - can't put it off. So there goes my savings, again. After adding up the money - I would have been better off with my old clunker. So the lesson I've learned "if it ain't broke, don't trade it in". But all in all I do consider myself fortunate for being blessed to have my car fixed before it died in the middle of the freeway somewhere & to actually have the money to fix it. Even though it hurts to part with my hard earned cash. So I just hope that my car is 'healthy' from this point forward. I kind of depend on my vehicle - how'd I ever live without one. So that was my adventure for the week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am so sorry you are having so much trauma with your car. One always hopes to be problem free for at least a couple years after getting a "new" car.
Post a Comment