Friday, May 30, 2008

INSPIRATIONAL STORIES

When I have the time I like to sit down & read a good book or enjoy a movie. Too often though I feel as if I've just been mindlessly entertaining myself & not truly benefiting from the time spent. It definitely takes more effort to track down not only wholesome but uplifting & inspiring stories. But once found - definitely worth it.

I recently read the book "The Ultimate Gift" by Jim Stovall. It is a great book which teaches about what is truly important. It focuses on 12 important gifts in life. There are great things to learn from each gift. I've also seen the movie - great movie, definitely recommend it - but the book is not the same as the movie, as far as the story line is concerned. But the message is still the same - I personally found that I learned more by reading the book.

Another recommendation is the movie Facing the Giants. My sister had told me about this movie and I finally got around to watching it. The first part of the movie, I'll admit, I was only half paying attention. I often tend to multi-task while watching TV. But as the story progressed I found my attention completely drawn in. This is one of those movies you find yourself saying "Wow!" It is so touching and brings such a strong message of personal faith.

I'd also like to note that the producers of Facing the Giants have a new movie coming this fall called Fireproof. I'm hoping it's just as good. If anyone has more recommendations please share them.

A few other mentionable good movies: Shadowlands, The Mission, and North and South

1 comment:

Jenni Taysom said...

Yes, Facing the Giants is one of my favorite movies - it motivates me to try to live with more faith and be a better person.
I'm glad you watched it and liked it and are recommending it.