Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Summer Days

I know – it’s been far too long since I’ve posted anything. I have been keeping pretty busy and life has a way of flying. I remember a story my dad once told about his granddad. Every 4th of July they would all be gathered together for the holiday and every year his granddad would say something to the effect of “Well…here we are again on the 4th of July and…the summer is all shot to hell.” That pretty much sums it up – just before you know it time has come and gone.






I just got back from a short but fun trip to San Diego. My friend Jessica and I drove there on a Friday and got back the following Monday evening. We went to the San Diego temple and did a session. Sadly they were remodeling the exterior, so it was covered in scaffolding and the windows were covered with paper. So I did not get to experience the temple’s full beauty. But I still enjoyed it. We then barely made it to the Mormon Battallion Visitor’s Center before closing time to get the “quick tour” (about 20 minutes). If you ever go to San Diego make sure you make plenty of time to go – it’s well worth it. Even your kids (if you have kids) will love it! And if you want authentic Mexican food be sure to stop at Old Town Mexican Café afterwards – delicious!






On Saturday, Jessica’s uncle took us kayaking at La Jolla Cove where we saw about 30 seals napping on the rocks. One seal even swam right by us and surfaced to say hello (it was more a snorty sound –but I interpreted it as “hello”). It was a little overcast though, so no sun at the beach. Afterwards we went to Balboa Park to check out some of the gardens and museums. Very pretty area – wish I had more time to spend exploring. Wish I also had time to drive across the bridge to Coronado – but not enough time. Instead we stopped at the Little Italy district and ate at Fillipi’s and had gelato at another café. The rest of the trip was spent at Jessica’s aunt & uncle’s home in San Marcos attending church, taking naps etc. It was a fun weekend in California – but surprisingly cold. I don’t think it ever got warmer than 67 degrees – and the night’s reminded me of Idaho summer evenings- but cooler. Haha.

And now it’s August. What happened to June and July? Great granddad was right about summer. Too fast. I’m enjoying life though. I have some great roommates – I’m so blessed to have them in my life. I still go running – but sadly not as often as I used to. Summers get too warm and I get too busy and need to control my schedule a bit more. But last Wednesday evening my roommate and I went running in the canyons and it was pretty fun and not too hot – especially by the waterfalls.





No comments: